Thursday, May 21, 2009

If you had told me...

If you had told me when I was ten years old what I would be like when I was 23, I wouldn't believe you. I would simply say "No way" and go back to reading what every classic novel I was reading at the time. At ten years old, I had buck teeth, big glasses and no friends. I knew that I would never have a boyfriend, even though I dreamed of it daily. I knew that I would never have any good friends. It's amazing how God leads your life in a completely different direction then what was imagined. I think about my friends. Jessica Fuqua (hello Jessica!) would have only hoped to meet her future husband as soon as she did when college began. Sara Coleman, oops, Depew would never had imagined that she was going to meet the man of her dreams while he was chaperoning a youth trip. I would never had imagined that the guy that wore a camo jacket over everything, who wore chains and baggy pants, who scared the living daylights out of me would be my wonderful adoring husband. I bet God laughs at our plans. We probably make him sad because we don't have the faith that God is going to provide a way better than imaginable. That 10 year old girl got braces, contacts, and made very good friends. There are some friends that have moved on and we have drifted up, but I still love them dearly. I love my friend Erika. We found a kindred spirit in each other the day in 5th grade when we bounced around on bean bag chairs singing "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?" She now is married and has an adorable son.

"For I know the plans for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' " -Jeremiah 29:11

That verse keeps playing in my head. My best friend in the entire world is struggling with the fact that God is not giving her what she wants more than anything in the entire world. I have never had a friend like this friend. I grew up with friends that I was friends with for a very long time. We didn't hold each other accountable for anything and didn't love each other regardless. Then I found my best friend. This friend has always been an encouragement and willing to play the Devil's Advocate and give you her advice, even when it's not asked for. She takes it personal when people don't listen to her advice and everything goes sour. My best friend is reaching for her goals. She knew that she was going to be "Barbara Walters" (not really). But she knew that since she was very young. Look at what she's doing now! How she can feel that God isn't listening to her prayers. God knows what He is doing. It's not time for her to find her person. She is not meant for small things and living in small cities. She has big dreams that haven't been fulfilled yet!! Why in the world would you want to meet and find the man of your dreams in a town that you don't want to live in. God has something special meant for my friend. Something so special, that she wouldn't even be able to take it all in. God always provides!