Monday, March 9, 2009

Virginia in June

"Well, they say when you marry in June
You're a bride, all your life.
And the bridegroom who marries in June
Gets a sweetheart for a wife."
-Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

My best friend's twin sister is now engaged and planning a wedding for June...THIS JUNE!!!! I am so excited for her. I am not going to act like the all-knowing bride who can give a lot of advice for engaged couples. I hate when people do that. In fact, every couple is different. Jennifer's sister is going through a state of shock, thinking of all of their "last times" as single sisters. After hearing Steph make a list of things that they forgot to take pictures of and how holidays at the grandparents were going to change, I realized how much it was different for Lisa and I. Andrew and I had been dating since Lisa was 12 or 13, so basically Andrew was always there and it wasn't such a big shock to have him join the family because he was already a member. Andrew had already been sitting at the children's table, attending all birthday celebrations, and even joining family vacations. Lisa and I are also not twins. I am three years older than her, so our life experiences have happened at different times. I always experienced them first. For Steph and Jenn, everything has been at the same time...until now. I think Stephanie fills as if Jenn is getting to experience something ahead of her for the first time and is leaving her behind. They always started school together and ended school together (Barely, but they did end at the same time,haha). Even though Jenn began her career first, Steph did get a job within the year that Jenn did. Even though they were both in different cities, they were both experiencing new friends, new jobs, and a new feeling of loneliness. I am so excited for Jennifer and Elijah. My prayers are with them as they plan for a life together and decide how their lives will fit together. My only advice for Jenn is to remember her friends and family. Sometimes I have to put Stephanie on a back burner, but I do call her everyday. We might not be able to talk when it is convenient for either, but I make a big effort. Sometime I am on the phone with her while I am having dinner with my husband or I talk to her right before my husband leaves for work instead of saying good-bye to him. Don't get so wrapped up in the whole marriage thing that you forget the people who were there for you before "Someone put a ring on it." I love you Jennifer and Stephanie!!!


Oh yeah, I will be attending the wedding unless something doesn't allow me to whether I'm invited or not :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

That's so great : ) I'm excited for Jen! And I love your quote at the beginning : ), that's one of my fave old movies : )