Friday, June 4, 2010

Who has 2 Thumbs and is Really Proud...

THIS GIRL IS!!!!!!

If you have followed my blog at all, then you will know that I have been doing to Couch to 5k training. It hasn't been as steady as I would have hoped. I have had to press pause several times due to rain, business, sickness, and vacations. I have been stuck on the same intervals for about a month now. It consists of Warming up for 5 minutes, Running for 90 sec, Walking for 90 sec, Run for 3 minutes, and then Walk for 3 minutes. Repeat.
I continued with this interval for so long because I haven't felt that I have mastered it yet. I would do find at the 90 seconds, but I would struggle on the 3 minutes. Sometimes I would be able to run the 3 minutes, but I would be gasping for air at the end. This week has been wonderful for me. I have gone running 3 days in a row and I'm enjoying it. I can tell that the 3 minutes of running has become easier and easier each time. Today my calves are sore after running so much, but it's a beautiful day and I really don't want to jinx myself by not running. My plan is to continue these intervals until I feel as comfortable with the 3 minutes of running as I do with the 90 seconds. There is a big difference in 90 seconds and 3 minutes. I want to be able to not look at my timer and wish away the seconds.

Self Talk has been very helpful for me. Even though I might be dying, I'll look at my timer and see that I have only 30 seconds left and I have to really push myself to continue running. I drug Andrew out with me the other day and even he said that he couldn't remember me ever running that long. That meant so much to me because I am working really hard to be able to run.

I know I look like a crazy person while running my neighborhood because there are just certain songs that come on that you just have to dance to while running. I might wave my hands in the air or clap for a while. Another thing about my neighborhood that I have noticed is that there aren't many people who walk it. We have a great neighborhood, but very rarely do I see anyone walking their dogs or enjoying the outdoors. When we lived by the Country Club, I was always in great company with bike riders and other walkers.

Next week will be 5 minutes. I KNOW I have never run 5 minutes. One of my boyfriends (well the only other one I've had besides my husband) used to run a 5 minute mile. I'm quickly on my way to running a 5k!

No comments: