Thursday, June 24, 2010

Constructive Criticism

Growing up, I have never ever been good at hearing that I was wrong. I don't like hearing that I'm not perfect. I'll admit that I'm not perfect, and I'll even be able to tell you what I need to change. Don't YOU dare try to tell me that something I said or did was incorrect.

Today Shawn Smucker wrote:

Here’s a thought: let someone disagree with you today, and don’t let it affect your self-worth. Consider listening instead of persuading.

“You can safely assume that you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do” (Ann Lamotte)

When’s the last time you changed your mind about something you are passionate about? Never? Ever consider that the odds you are right about EVERYTHING is probably nil?

Ummm...was he in my head today? That Ann Lamotte quote hits home for me. This semester I am taking a Religion and Spirituality Class and how it affects the social work profession. Basically, social work is an holistic profession. When we are addressing a situation with a client, we look at them biologically, mentally, socially, and on top of those: spiritually. I have to be able to listen to what they believe and try to see how their beliefs fit into their life. Are you telling me that I have to put my belief in God aside regardless of their faith? Yeppers. I have to educate myself in their beliefs, even if they are deciding to wearing a red string around their wrist for Kabbalah.

We have to be willing to listen and hear what people are saying they believe in and not shut them off because what we believe in is different.

No comments: