Monday, April 26, 2010

You are about to judge me

I pride myself on being very honest. I am the same no matter where I am at and who I am with. I sometimes (a lot of the time) say things that are possibly inappropriate to others, but at least I'm honest.

Here is something that I am dealing with currently.

My husband is kinda-sorta my best friend. I love him dearly and I tell him everything. We discuss everything together and he is ultimately the person I go to, but....

If I really want to have a conversation and get the reaction that I want then I go to my female best friend. That is how it has always been throughout our relationship. When Hubby and I started dating, I was really close to a group of four or five girls. My theory was that they were there before him and they would probably be there after him. (I didn't expect to marry the person I started dating at 16.) Whenever the group would hang out as friends, at the end of the night Andrew would get frustrated at me because while all of the other couples were cuddling on the couch, I would be sitting and talking to my best girl friend who had a long distance relationship. He would end up sitting by himself. My excuse was that I didn't want Heather to feel lonely because her guy wasn't there. That continued all throughout high school, and then we got to college. I lived with my bestie then, so obviously she would hear about everything. I would tell her my crazy stories and complain to her because she would either be in shock or laugh hysterically at my stories, or offer a comforting word. My husband listens very well and might chuckle or offer food for thought, but when it comes to the reaction that I crave-I go to my female friends.

With my female counterpart moving away, I am faced with a scary thought...Andrew is going to have to take the place of Steph with the reactions. Yeah, I will be able to tell her my stories and hear the reaction over the phone or by Skype, but it is just not the same. I want the cackle that resembles a muppet's laugh. When I wanted to do something fun, I would automatically ask the friend before the husband (that's due to his work schedule, not because I didn't want to be with him). This will be an interesting time for me and our marriage. He will be graduating and hopefully getting a job that will put him at home on the weekends and nights. Then he will become my:
Shopping buddy
My Chickasaw paddleboat partner
My listener
And the Person I throw my jokes too!!

No comments: