Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Never Too Late?

One of the classes that I have been taking this semester is called Policy and Advocacy. Basically the point of this class is to teach you about what is going on in TN with different policies. We were assigned to a group and a topic. My group was assigned Adoption and Foster Care, which I love and really have a heart for. We were supposed to then find out what was going on that either needed to be changed or needed to be implemented. One of my fabulous group leaders found an article about a project that was started in MN and MO that helped older teenagers become adopted. We decided that that was what we were going to do our presentation about. We found all sorts of statistics about how once children reached the age of 14, they pretty much gave up the hope of being adopted. We did our first presentation about how it was important to have programs such as the ones established in MN and MO in TN because they were beneficial.
The 2nd part of our presentation is what my group is working on now. We actually have to go through the steps to make our plans a reality. Our teacher really doesn't expect us to start this great adoption program, which we call Never Too Late, but he does want us to see and find what steps would need to be taken to begin this program.


Wellll.....


One of my group members was talking with a DCS (Department of Children Services) Regional Advisor about his internship for next year. He happened to mention our project in passing to see what she thought about teenagers struggling to becoming adopted. The RA LOOVED our idea and actually requested that I do my internship there as well so that we could actually get this program started in TN. We would be the starters of the program. We would be interviewing teenagers in foster care to see what their thoughts would be and we would even be in charge of getting the grant money. I really wanted to do my internship with Drug and Alcohol rehab services, but this is such a great opportunity for us.

I'm going to email the lady who is in charge of finding internships for me and tell her about this opportunity. I'm still in shock!

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.1 Timothy 4:12 NIV

No comments: