Friday, October 31, 2008

Dana be smart.

I love to read. There's nothing more satisfying than curling up with a good book that completely takes over your life for a few hours. The word that most accurately describes how I read is "devour." You know when I love a book because I either do two things.
1.) I read it in one sitting.
2.) I will postpone reading it so that I can live in the moments even longer.

It took me forever to read the last Harry Potter book. Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I knew it was the end of an old friend. I knew someone had to die and I just couldn't deal with it. I owned the book for maybe a month before I even picked it up. I would walk around with the book, read a few chapters and then I couldn't handle the pressure so I put it down. I also repeated the pattern while reading the latest Twilight novel. I wanted the story to last as long as possible.

The problem with loving to read so much is that I can't write. I would love to write an eloquent sounding blog that caused people laugh or possibly cry. I'm not a writer. I'm jealous of people like Jennifer who could make a recipe sound like the "I Have a Dream" speech. When I have a lot of thoughts going through my head, I leave out words or even repeat a phrase repeat a phrase. Andrew has a lot of examples if this because he has kept every note I wrote him in high school. My writing is pretty much straight forward. I don't use any high falutin words that make me sound smarter than I really am. I think how I write describes the type of person I am. Simple. Not simple minded, just able to get my point across on a basic level. I love reading blogs of people who have a gift for words.

No comments: